Bernardo goes to Hollywood

Saturday, June 10, 2006

The Guardian

Fantastico. O Guardian tem uma seccao onde se analisa o pais e a cultura de cada seleccao que vai ao mundial. A de Portugal esta muito boa... Nao esquecer que os next door sao os Cortezes e Pizarros desse povo provinciano que e o espanhol

The country on the psychiatrist's couch
I've always been a bit of a wanderer, though I don't get out as much as I used to. In my younger days I wasn't always the most respectful of visitors, which is why a few people who put me up back in the day are still narked, but what can you do? I've said I'm sorry. Anyway, whatever I've done, I'm not as bad as them next door.

What they eat
The Portuguese are as guilty as anyone of depleting the world's resource of cod; they famously have 365 different ways of cooking it, a dish for every day.

What they watch
One of the most popular shows in the country is O Preço Certo Em Euros, a version of The Price Is Right. Unlike ours, it is shown in prime time. We assume it's better. Actually, it isn't presented by Joe Pasquale, so we know it's better.

Anthem in brief
A Portuguesa. The Portuguese are a splendid and indomitable people. Their country offers a range of attractive features and a pleasant climate. And they would like to take this opportunity to remind us who discovered most of America.

Well I never
Portugal's first-ever flag was exactly the same as Finland's.